Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Integrating Technology Dance and Art


This blog will be all about my journey through the art of dance. Although I am not a dance major many of my art projects project the idea of movement and dance. I have found a new world of art within my hula hoop and I am in the process of making a ceramic project that connects with my love for hoop dance and flow. It is important that I let my students know how I connect all aspects of art and technology. My hula hoop that I use is an LED hula and has given me so much to do with multiple art projects. For example exposure in photography and this ceramics project I am working on now. This technology of the LED hoop has opened a new world for me. I want to have students understand there is a way to connect themselves with art and technology. LED hoops are fairly new meanwhile the hoop has been around since the early 1970's. Hula hooping has become a passion of mine and I can connect it with my other passion of ceramics. This is important because students must see how we as educators connect our lives with out careers. Below are some photos I took of myself hooping.   
(The first two are of me hooping)          

(It even brings joy to our waiter)


3 comments:

  1. Melissa-
    This is a really interesting way of connecting different subjects and relating them in a way students would be both engaged as well as entertained by. Movement is always an awesome way to keep your students' momentum going during a lesson, and can connect to many students who may not always have the opportunity to be in a classroom environment that experiments with different techniques (not to mention kids become tired of sitting in desks for hours on end). It would be interesting to see how you could incorporate hooping in an art classroom, not to mention fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a awesome idea! I see and hear about hoop dancing more and more lately. It is a unique and entertaining looking activity. Hoop dancing looks even more impressive with the LED lights on at night. I can definitely see this being an excellent project with photography. Capturing light in darkness has been experimented for many years. Hoop dancing with LED lights has it’s awn crazy effect. I think this is a great example for showing your students how you connect with your own artwork. I agree with you that it is I]‘
    important for the students to see that side of teachers. How can we connect with students if all we do is tell them what to do all day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree! Bring personal aspects of your own are making is important as an art educator. Students can connect with you as their role model if they see you as an ART teacher is involved in the art making. Students will also see how they can relate their own personal interest into their art as well.
    I love the idea of bringing hooping into the arts since, as you mentioned, is also a form of art of its own. This is can then introduce the idea of performance art to the students.
    This photography aspect of this is just beautiful as well as good physical exercise. This incorporation of movement is also very relevant to the art field.

    ReplyDelete